Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Wal-Mart Canada to Open 40 Supercentres

Summary of Article:

Wal-Mart Canada plans to open 40 new supercentres in the coming year.  They say that this move could generate more than 9,200 store and construction jobs.  The retail giant says it will open the new Canadian supercentres.  These supercentres combine groceries and general merchandise under one roof.  This started on February 1, 2011.  Wal-Mart Canada says it will invest roughly $500 million Canadian in the expansion.  This will involve building new locations, and rennovating and relocating some existing stores.  No new locations for the new stores have been announced but the company says it will be introducing the extra-large stores in Manitoba and Quebec for the first time.  Wal-Mart has opened its first Canadian supercentre in Ontario in 2006, and the format has since expanded to Alberta, B.C and Saskatchewan.  There has been positive feedback from customers and encourage the expansion.  "Our customers tell us they appreciate our supercentre format and the convenient one-stop shopping experience it provides," Schutta said.  At the end of this month, Wal-mart will have 325 stores, including 124 supercentres.

My Opinion of Article:

I believe this is a huge leap for Wal-Mart and a great idea.  This will help expand Wal-Mart throughout Canada and not only by their regular stores, but supercentres as well.  If they were just adding stores, I would not agree so much with their plan of action.  However, since they are adding stores and supercentres, I fully agree with their plan of action.  Adding supercentres not only advertises all of Wal-Mart's products, but has more variety of products all under one roof.  I know personally, whenever I go to Wal-Mart, I get the stuff I need but have to go to another store to get my groceries.  This is simply because there are not enough supercentres.  When I do go to supercentres, it is a fast and easy purchase as all the things I need to buy that day are in one store.  I do not need to drive anywhere else.  Supercentres seem to have a positive impact and I believe it is key if Wal-Mart wants their expansion to be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment